Friday, June 24, 2016

A Note On Superheroes And Killing

Hello Thar!
So, as some of you may know, I'm working on a Badass Normal Type Superhero Story over on a certain site. Now, I won't spoil too much on my homeboy, but there is one thing I want to address.
The No Kill Rule.
Look, I understand why folks have it. Hell, if anything, we need it now more than ever in reality.
But, I'm addressing from a standpoint regarding Superheroes.
Honestly, I get why Superheroes don't want to kill, but what I don't get is the absolute fanaticism towards it. The idea of 'If you kill a villain for any reason ever, you are automatically an absolute monster who is every bit as bad as them!' BS.
If a police officer kills a criminal who is in the middle of a mass murder spree, they are not magically as bad as them, they are a hero.
If a soldier kills a terrorist, he is a hero.
If you kill a criminal who is trying to hurt your loved ones, you are a hero.
If a superhero has to kill a villain who is trying to mass murder innocent people and has made it clear they are loving it and will never repent,guess what? They are still a fucking hero!

Taking this back to the topic up above, the Superhero, Monochrome, does not really have that same insane logic. He knows he's a normal guy going up against serial murderers and sadists and rapists and drug dealers, etc.
He's well trained, but he's still a normal human. He knows there's always a chance he'll have to make that choice.
So really, he has a more sane outlook on it.
  • If he can get through it with nobody dying, great, fantastic! That's the ideal choice.
  • If he has to choose between the lives of the civilians and the life of the villain, whelp, tough luck for the villain. He'll carry that burden on his shoulders if it means saving innocent people.
  • If the villain gets themselves into a situation where they could die, well, not entirely his problem.
  • If the villain has gone to jail and broken out and resumed a killing spree, they are done. He'll put them down. Let the world judge him for it, but they had a choice and they chose to go on another killing spree, so he's dealing with it. 
Or, to put it shortly,
 He's not going to go all Punisher on criminals or just start slaughtering them all willy nilly, but he's not going to fluff up pillows for them either.

As A side note, another one of the heroes I'm writing a hero named Flint Ferrous. A Cyborg Super Soldier. Keyword, SOLDIER. He is military and that is something to remember. He has a wide variety of options available to him now, so if he can take a villain down without killing them, he'll go for it. But if he has to make that call, he'll freaking bust a cap. He fully respects the heroes that refuse to kill and approves of it, but knows that there are situations where he'll have to make that call.


 You've also got another chill dude like Captain Justice, who follows the first two rules on the list I mentioned above.
  • If he can get through it with nobody dying, great, fantastic! That's the ideal choice.
  • If he has to choose between the lives of the civilians and the life of the villain, whelp, tough luck for the villain. He'll carry that burden on his shoulders if it means saving innocent people.
Fortunately for him, he's powerful enough that he can nearly always go for the first one. 

There's more, but these are the big ones I wanted to talk about and what I will be following through my stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home